Contact   |   Find us
HomeAbout Us › History

History


The University Clinic Golnik developed from a healing climate resort for pulmonary patients founded in Golnik in 1921. Treatment of tuberculosis patients played an important role in its history. This period was followed by the development of pulmonology (80-year long tradition) and allergiology (20-year long tradition).


Castle on Golniku

Grad Glavnik
castle Glavnik
Golnik is a village situated in the foothills of Kriska gora mountain in the Gorenjsko region. Historically, the village and the health resort grew simultaneously in the 1920s. There was also a castle in this place centuries before that. It was first mentioned as early as 1566 and at present awaits renovation. The first owner of the castle was the wealthy local family often referred to as "Kriski gospodje" (the name is derived from the nearby Kriska gora hill). The castle, known as Kreutzhof, got its name after the owner Jurij Kreutzer. It was first mentioned as early as 1566. Later on, the castle was given another name: "Gallenfels" (the name of the family that owned it from 1688 until 1822). In 1917, the castle came under the ownership of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was at the same time that the state proclaimed Golnik to be a health resort for the wounded soldiers who had returned from the war. The name Glavnik (from which Golnik was presumably derived) was also mentioned by baron and famous historian Janez Vajkard Valvasor, although he adds that he was unable to trace the origin of this name. In 1921, the State Board of Commissioners of The Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes issued an act that allowed them to construct another building which would serve as a treatment place for patients with tuberculosis (most of them were soldiers). This building is regarded as the very first health resort facility and October of 1921 as the founding year of the present institution.